Thursday 3 March 2011

Cerebral Palsy, my side!

Different: able to be distinguished, unlike, of other nature.
Disability: thing or lack that prevents one’s doing something.
Disable: make unable
Retard: make slow or late, delay progress or development.
Spastic: (person) suffering from cerebral palsy, with tonic spasm of muscles.
(Commonly known as Spas)
Now you ask, why have I written those words and their meanings? My reply is… I’m letting you into why I am who I am today.  I was born with mild cerebral palsy (although it doesn’t feel like it sometimes.) however although my friends and family treat me no different doesn’t mean that other people do. I’ve been called a retard and a spastic. Fair enough. If you know their actual meaning.  Fair enough I am a retard, but I bet I can come back with a quicker name for you next time you call me it. Just because a person may be slow in actions doesn’t mean their brains slow. Cerebral palsy is a condition to do with the muscles just because a person may be slow in actions doesn’t mean their brains slow. Cerebral palsy just means that your muscles are weaker than everybody else’s. I’m sick of getting stereotyped. You can’t do this, and you can’t do that! That really knocks your confidence! It doesn’t annoy me anymore though, it annoys my family and friends more, and I just laugh it off.
                However all the negativity in my life disappeared when I left school! I left school with a dream of going to college to be a journalist. My first weeks of college taught me not to be afraid of trying new things and now my dream is to go into study radio. That’s something I would never have thought about back in high school because I’d have someone laughing or telling me “you can’t do that” when this is my life and I can only  make of it what I want of it. No one can stop me and no one can get me where I want to go it’s up to me. I know there’ll be obstacles to make me stop and think (there always is in life, in every situation) but I’ll get through it. What this all coming to? Confidence, being able to stand up to people and telling them you can do it. The point of this is everyone tell’s you when you’re younger “You can be what you want to be.” And I’m telling you now… it’s true! Whether you have a disability or not. Disability means that you may not be able to do something, if you can’t do it try something different. For example what put me of journalism was the short hand- I can’t write fast never mind write shorthand. So I decided radio then I thought of my voice then was informed by a lot of people no one like’s their own voice and as long as I speak clearly… I’m fine. 
The main thing is, you can be whoever you want to be, different is good. I love being different but that’s my personality too. I now laugh if someone tells’s me I can’t do something because of my disability and everyone else can because it makes me more determined to prove them wrong. So you want proved wrong about something, tell me I can’t do something! This is who I am today because I can only be the best I can be and if that means laughing at the bullies that’s what I’ll do. I’m not going to deny it hurts, all I’m saying is that it has made a stronger person inside and that’s why I always see the brighter side.

4 comments:

  1. Cally, this is a searing hot truth, and an inspiration to anyone who reads it.
    You have a gift for communicating and nobody but nobody should try to limit your ambition.
    Your voice is just fine and you will do well pursuing a broadcast dream, but shorthand should NOT be a prerequisite of studying journalism.
    I will personally take up your case to expose this as the fatuous nonsense it is. If you have passion and can articulate a point as well as you, shorthand is irrelevant. I have worked for newspapers and radio for 40 years (I was 13 when I started!) and never learned nor needed shorthand to help me do that. If you can work for the BBC, Scotsman Publications, The Sunday Times, The Herald and others including Independent Radio without shorthand, you should be allowed to pursue journalism at college without it.

    Fantastic spirit and a way with words- more power to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really like this cally well done its so truthful im really proud of you and of course you can do anything that you set your mind too :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read that there, it's inspiring Cally.
    Ignorant people always try to catergorize people they don't understand, it makes me sick to hear the cruel things that are said. I just hope someone who is going through what you went through reads this. I remember when we all met eachother automatically instead of shying away you made friendships with your outgoing, friendly personality something a lot people couldn't do. No one should be catergorized, no one should be bullied. I feel bad for what you have went through but glad you have found a belonging where people like and respect you, just have to say again inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not only that but I love the other comments too, just truely brilliant. It's given me a lot to think about like why should there be boundries? Why should we say to ourselves we aren't good enough, look at Colin. Look at his (dare I be suck up) incredible career, he started at the age of THIRTEEN!!! He believed in himself and if you believe in yourself, if anyone believes in theirselves anything is possible

    ReplyDelete